Why Winter Training?
Rowing races are won in the winter! The training that is done in the off season has a significant impact on the outcome of races in the spring.
Mercy Crew Winter Training will focus on increasing power and aerobic capacity, building core and overall strength and perfecting rowing technique utilizing the team’s ergs.
We will be breaking the stroke down, increasing ankle, hip range of motion, strengthening core for better posture and connection during the rowing stroke. The girls will be led through strength and conditioning circuits as part of a full workout plan with progressions to improve erg scores.
Plans for Winter Training
Regardless of what happens this spring, we can still train, get in shape and be part of a team. These are the fundamentals of why many of our girls joined this team. The Mercy Crew Board and the Coaches have been hard at work putting together a Winter Training Program that will be fun, productive and in line with COVID safety measures. You will NOT have to stick to your cohort, we can practice as a TEAM! We will be following social distancing rules and other safety guidelines, but we can still make the best of things together.
For our 2021 Winter Training, due to us being unable to practice at Mercy during COVID while not currently ‘in season’, we will be offering practices 2 days a week, Mondays and Thursdays, at our new Erg Training Site in a large open space where you will erg and train with Coach Casey and Coach Anna. The facility is located at 3300 Monroe Avenue, across from Pittsford Plaza.
Note: Previously planned strength & conditioning training at the Bay View YMCA in Webster has been canceled due to transportation issues & insufficient registrations.
We are also considering the possibility of virtually participating in an indoor ergatta from our Indoor Erg Training Site. The Shamrock Row, sponsored by Buffalo Scholastic Rowing Association (BSRA), will be held virtually this year. This is an event where the girls can complete a 2K in an exciting race environment. We have enjoyed competing in this event in Buffalo the past two years as part of our Winter Training program. This year’s virtual event is being held the weekend of March 13-14.
Mercy Crew Indoor Erg Training Site, 3300 Monroe Ave, Pittsford (across from Pittsford Plaza)
WINTER TRAINING 2021 SESSION
Monday, Feb. 1st, 2021 – Thursday, Mar. 25th, 2021 (7 weeks)
TRAINING COST for 7 Week Session:
- MONDAY and THURSDAY Erg Training – $170
- Mondays & Thursdays are both included in the cost above. You may attend one or both days each week.
- Mondays – Erg Training w/ Mercy Coaches at Mercy Crew Erg Site in Pittsford
- Tuesdays – No Practice
- Wednesdays – No Practice
- Thursdays – Erg Training w/ Mercy Coaches at Mercy Crew Erg Site in Pittsford
- Fridays – No Practice
- We would like to encourage participation in preparation for spring season rowing, but due to Mercy Athletics COVID protocols, Winter Training is NOT MANDATORY for Spring Rowers.
- All NYS & Mercy Athletics COVID-19 protocols will be followed during training sessions.
- No Training Sessions will be held over February Break.
- New rowers are welcome to attend a free trial week during the first week of the session Feb. 1 – Feb. 4.
TO REGISTER FOR WINTER TRAINING SESSIONS:
- COMPLETE ONLINE REGISTRATION BELOW
- COMPLETE the following Form (Must bring to first day of training – cannot train without this):
- MAIL PAYMENT TO MERCY CREW TREASURER BY FRIDAY, FEB. 5 (the end of the first wk).
Send a checks made payable to Mercy Crew, Inc.:
Mercy Crew Treasurer
PO BOX 10582
Rochester, NY 14610