Why Winter Training?
Rowing races are won in the winter! The training that is done in the off season has a significant impact on the outcome of races in the spring.
Mercy Crew Winter training will focus on increasing power and aerobic capacity, building core and overall strength and perfecting rowing technique utilizing the ergs at school and the indoor tanks at Pittsford Indoor Rowing Center (PIRC).
Coaches Plans for Winter Training
- We will be breaking the stroke down, increasing ankle, hip range of motion, strengthening core for better posture and connection during the rowing stroke, teaching proper lifting techniques including Olympic lifts, full workout plan with progressions to improve erg scores.
- NEW! With much appreciation to MC parent, Laura Fasano – Mercy Crew has been able to arrange the incredible opportunity to have two (2) YMCA Athletic Trainers work with the girls, along with our coaches, two days a week during Winter Training.
- NEW! We will be incorporating yoga sessions to help our girls develop both physically and mentally. The sessions will focus on flexibility, body strength, coordination, breath work and mental focus. There will be 4 sessions, one every other week, with a trained Yoga for Athletes Instructor from Butterfly Yoga.
- We would also like to plan to participate in an indoor ergatta, either in Buffalo or locally, where the girls will complete a 2K in an exciting race environment. Final dates to be announced when posted.
- Also, we are working on creating a coxins program which will be 1 day a week focused just on coxing.
Winter Training Session 2 – MANDATORY FOR SPRING ROWERS
When: Monday, Jan. 27th, 2020 – Thursday, Mar. 26th, 2020 (8 weeks)
- Mon., Tues. & Wed. (1/27-2/13) – 3:30-5:00pm in the Mercy MS Gym/ Mercy Cafeteria
- Mon., Wed. & Thurs. (2/24-3/26) – 3:30-5:00pm in the Mercy MS Gym/ Mercy Cafeteria
- NEW! Two of the three days of Training with (2) YMCA Athletic Trainers along with Mercy Crew Coaches
- Thursdays at Pittsford Indoor Rowing Center (PIRC) Tanks
- 1/30, 2/6 & 2/13 – 5:45-7:15pm
- Tuesdays at Pittsford Indoor Rowing Center (PIRC) Tanks
- 2/25, 3/3, 3/10, 3/17 & 3/24 – 7:30-8:45pm
- Fridays – No Training
- Mandatory for Spring Rowers (unless participating in another Winter Sport).
- Session 2 will not begin until after school mid-term exams.
- No Training Sessions will be held over February Break.
- New rowers to the team must attend Session 2 and are welcome to attend a free trial week during the first week of the first session Jan. 27-31.
Cost for 8 week session:
- Rower (M, T, W, TH Training) – $315
- Coxswain Option 1 (Training 3 Days incl/ YMCA Training & PIRC Training) – $268
- Coxswain Option 2 (Training 1 Day Only & PIRC Training – NO YMCA Training) – $150
TO REGISTER FOR WINTER TRAINING SESSIONS:
- COMPLETE ONLINE REGISTRATION BELOW
- COMPLETE YMCA Trainer Waiver
- Must bring to first day of training if not previously completed – cannot train without this.
- MAIL PAYMENT TO MERCY CREW TREASURER PRIOR TO SESSION START on JAN 27.
Send a checks made payable to Mercy Crew, Inc.:
Mercy Crew Treasurer
PO BOX 10582
Rochester, NY 14610