Why Winter Training?
Rowing races are won in the winter! The training that is done in the off season has a significant impact on the outcome of races in the spring.
Mercy Crew Winter training will focus on increasing power and aerobic capacity, building core and overall strength and perfecting rowing technique utilizing the ergs at school and the indoor tanks at Pittsford Indoor Rowing Center (PIRC).
Coaches Plans for Winter Sessions 1 and 2
- We will be breaking the stroke down, increasing ankle, hip range of motion, strengthening core for better posture and connection during the rowing stroke, teaching proper lifting techniques including Olympic lifts, full workout plan with progressions to improve erg scores.
- We would also like to plan to participate in an indoor ergatta, either in Buffalo or locally, where the girls will complete a 2K in an exciting race environment. Final dates to be announced when posted.
- Also, we are working on creating a coxins program which will be 1 day a week focused just on coxing.
Winter Training Session 1 – VOLUNTARY (Registration Open)
When: Monday, Nov. 18th, 2019 – Thursday, Jan. 16th, 2020
- Mondays, Wednesdays & Thursdays – 3:30-5:00pm in the Mercy Cafeteria
- No Training over holiday breaks: 11/28, 12/23, 12/25, 12/26, 12/30, 1/1 & 1/2
- Highly recommended for current Novices and rowers who want to work on their fitness and girls looking to join the crew team.
- Returning Varsity Spring rowers who want to work on their overall fitness and on work on improving muscle sequencing are encouraged to attend as well.
- New rowers to the team should strongly consider attending the first session and are welcome to attend a free trial week during the first week of the first session Nov. 18-21.
Cost: $165/rower or $45/coxswain
Winter Training Session 2 – MANDATORY FOR SPRING ROWERS (Tentative Pending OLM Approval)
When: Monday, Jan. 27th, 2020 – Friday, Mar. 28th, 2020
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday – 3:00-5:00pm in the Mercy MS Gym/ Mercy Cafeteria
- Thursdays at Pittsford Indoor Rowing Center (PIRC) Tanks
- 1/30, 2/6 & 2/13 – 5:45-7:15pm
- 2/27, 3/5, 3/12, 3/20 & 3/27 – 7:30-8:45pm
- Mandatory for Spring Rowers unless participating in another Winter Sport.
- Session 2 will not begin until after school mid-term exams.
- No Training Sessions will be held over February Break.
- New rowers to the team must attend Session 2 and are welcome to attend a free trial week during the first week of the first session Jan. 27-31.
TO REGISTER FOR WINTER TRAINING SESSIONS:
- COMPLETE ONLINE REGISTRATION BELOW
- MAIL PAYMENT TO MERCY CREW TREASURER PRIOR TO SESSION START
Send a checks made payable to Mercy Crew, Inc.:
Mercy Crew Treasurer
PO BOX 10582
Rochester, NY 14610