Fall 2020 Season – Strength & Conditioning Training Program
Much has changed during this unprecedented time and this school year will certainly be different than anything we have ever experienced. As many of you may already know, Governor Cuomo has announced that low- to moderate-risk high school sports may begin on September 21, which includes Crew. That being said, we are very limited to what we are able to do given the following for the Fall Crew Season:
- All fall regattas have been cancelled.
- No high school, college, nor adult teams are rowing on the water in team boats.
- Local and regional rowing clubs are focusing on land-based strength and conditioning training outdoors to help prepare for the spring season.
- Carpooling is not allowed.
- Students are not allowed in the school buildings after 3:00 p.m.
We are navigating unchartered waters and we want to do our best for the girls to keep them engaged in the sport and connected with their teammates. We have worked with the Mercy Athletic Director, Mr. Anthony Yandek, on a resumption plan for the fall – one where the health and safety of our girls are in the forefront. Given this and the information above, we will be aligning our plan for the rowing season with those of the other local and regional teams and will focus on land-based strength and condition training outdoors, weather permitting. Based on the responses from our families in our recently conducted survey, we will be holding a 6 wk. training session to be held after school at Mercy by Cohorts.
Fall Strength & Conditioning Training Session
When: Monday, Sept. 21st, 2020 – Friday, Oct. 30th, 2020 (6 weeks)
- FAITH COHORT TRAINING – Mon./Tues. – 3:30-4:30pm in the Mercy Upper Parking Lot
- HOPE COHORT TRAINING – Thurs./Fri. – 3:30-4:30pm in the Mercy Upper Parking Lot
- Cost: $155
- Registration Deadline: Sun. Sept 20
- Payment Due: Fri. Oct. 16
- We are thrilled to announce that the YMCA trainer that worked with the girls this past Winter, Gus, has agreed to return to lead the training sessions. He is very excited to work with the team again. He will be accompanied by either Coach Casey or Coach Anna on alternating days.
- To simplify the logistics of the training program, ergs will not be used during the sessions. They will, however, be offered to rent to team members (details to be made available shortly).
- There will be no training on Wednesdays.
COVID Protocols for Fall Crew Training
To help ensure the health and safety of our team, certain protocols will need to be followed for the fall strength and conditioning training sessions. These protocols include the following:
- Only girls who completed their due diligence about their health at the start of the school day and who participated in a full day of classes will be allowed to participate.
- Girls shall wear masks while going to and leaving practice.
- When actively training, girls shall be spaced 12 feet apart and masks will not be required due to social distancing.
- Snacks, water, any personal equipment will be provided by the individual and nothing will be shared.
- Girls will need to keep all of their personal belongings with them and keep them in close proximity.
- Remember to use the bathroom before you leave the building as girls will not be permitted back into the building after 3:30 p.m.
- Parents are expected to pick up their daughters after practice on time and immediately leave the grounds; they are not permitted to leave their cars.
Other Helpful Information to Assist with Registration Content
- The team will engage in land-based strength and condition training outdoors – weather permitting – on campus grounds, after school from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Training sessions will be held at the upper parking lot, where the Mercy Crew trailer is parked. If the lot is not available, then an alternate location outdoors will be used and the new location will be communicated to parents and the girls.
- Only members of the crew team from the same cohort will be allowed to attend their designated training sessions.
- Training sessions for Faith will be on Mondays and Tuesdays; Hope will be on Thursdays and Fridays.
- In the event of inclement weather, training will be cancelled. Coaches will communicate with parents and the team around noon.
What to Bring to Training
- Come to school prepared for training. To reduce and avoid risk, please wear your shorts and sports bras under your uniform so the only thing you need to change is your shirt.
- Bring a snack.
- Be sure to fill your water bottle before practice.
- Bring your yoga mat.
- Bring a large garbage bag to keep your belonging dry in the event of light rain.
And please, don’t forget to the use the bathroom before the start of your training session.
TO REGISTER FOR FALL TRAINING SESSIONS:
- COMPLETE ONLINE REGISTRATION BELOW
- SUBMIT the following to the SCHOOL NURSE’S OFFICE:
- MERCY ATHLETICS MEDICAL RE-CERTIFICATION FORM
- MERCY HEALTH APPRAISAL FORM
- You will not need to submit a new form if the Health Form you currently have on file in the Mercy Health Office is up to date (i.e. no more than one year old)
- Go to Mercy Health Appraisal & Parent Recertification webpage for further info.
- PRINT & COMPLETE the following forms and bring to the first day of your training session:
- MAIL PAYMENT TO MERCY CREW TREASURER by FRIDAY, OCT. 16
Send a checks made payable to Mercy Crew, Inc.:
Mercy Crew Treasurer
PO BOX 10582
Rochester, NY 14610